Have you noticed any black spots on your shower curtains? Do you see any slick orange slime that forms on your kitchen drain? If you see any of these unsightly objects inside your home, you might be dealing with mold infestation.
Mold growth can happen even in the most mundane places inside your home. What makes it ominous is that exposure to it can irritate your eyes and skin. It can also affect your nose, throat, and even your lungs. But what is mold and why is it bad for everyone’s health?
Basic facts about mold
Experts say that molds are a type of fungus that thrives in moist and damp places. Molds commonly spread through the composition of spores, which are common in all indoor areas. These spores can survive any condition that could otherwise prevent any typical plants from growing.
Mold spores soon start to spread as quickly as they land on a warm and damp spot. It digests any type of material that grows on the surface as it spreads even more. Molds can thrive in any surfaces, including paper, fabric, and even wood. Some of the most common types of indoor molds are Alternaria, Aspergillus, and Cladosporium. Penicillium is another type of fungus that usually grows on materials that got heavily damaged by water. It often has a green or blue appearance and often looks velvety.
How molds get inside homes
Although mold spores are barely visible, you can find them almost everywhere. It often finds its way into your home through the air or after attaching itself to people or objects. Aside from open doorways and ventilation systems, molds can also attach to clothing and pets.
Molds don’t automatically grow anywhere it lands. The area should have the ideal conditions for them to grow. If it doesn’t happen, molds shouldn’t cause you any problem at all.
Where does mold usually grow?
Mold usually grows in floors, carpets, or any areas that can provide them with the nutrients they need. They typically thrive in the regions that had a flooding or near windows where condensation commonly builds up. That’s why most people would often call for water restoration in Denver, CO to help them clear up all the moisture and water after a storm.
Experts say that wet cellulose materials are ideal places where molds thrive. It includes paper products, ceiling tiles, cardboard, and other wood products. You can quickly notice if there’s mold growth inside your house if you smell any musty odor around. If left untreated, mold exposure can lead to various respiratory conditions.
Controlling moisture inside your home is the best way to prevent mold from infesting your home. You need to ensure that you increase ventilation inside each room to reduce the humidity. You should also avoid doing moisture-producing activities, such as drying your clothes inside or even using kerosene heaters. If you already notice any mold infestation, it’s best to call the experts immediately. It’s a great way to protect yourself and your family’s health.